Torthorwald Castle in Torthorwald, Scotland

The first castle at this location was a simple earthwork motte-and-bailey construction, built at some point in the 12th century.
The site of Torthorwald Castle was owned by David Torthorwald by the 13th century.
During the First War of Scottish Independence, some of Sir David's descendants supported the English army. As a punishment, King Robert the Bruce confiscated the lands in 1306 and gave them to Sir John de Soules, who then passed away in 1310.
Humphrey de Kirkpatrick acquired the lands in 1326, and he started construction of the stone castle which would become Torthowarld Castle.
In 1425 William Carlyle married an unnamed Kirkpatrick heiress with the ownership of Torthorwald Castle passing to the Carlyle family.
In 1544 Michael Lord Carlyle, sacked the castle in a raid against his sister-in-law, Jonet Scrimgeour. He retained the castle until the late 16th century.
In 1609, ownership of the castle passed to his half brother, from the Douglases of Parkhead family. The last resident of the castle was Archibald Douglas of Dornock whom lived there until 1630.
The roof of the castle was removed in the 18th century, and shortly after that Torthorwald Castle drifted into ruin. Efforts were made during the next century to stabilise its structure, but sadly, in 1993 the north end of the tower collapsed and it now sits a forlorn ruin on the edge of the village.
